Newport Beach Firefighter/Paramedic
Preparation & Job Application
Join our team and have a rewarding career! To become a Firefighter/Paramedic for the City of Newport Beach, candidates must apply for the Firefighter/Paramedic position.
*Experienced Candidates are encouraged to apply and may start at higher salary step depending upon time on the job.
Please Note: Dates and timelines are also subject to change.
- Visit the City of Newport Beach Jobs page and review the Firefighter/Paramedic job specifications.
- Applications are currently being accepted
- Start gathering your certificates for the application and interview prep.
- Click here to Apply
- The Firefighter Paramedic job posting is currently open.
- Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis with the first review date of January 3, 2023 or until 250 Applications - whichever occurs first. Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Required Documents to Attach to the Online Application:
- High School diploma/GED or college degree (transcripts showing equivalency will be accepted)
- Firefighter I certification from a California Office of the Fire Marshal State Fire Training or proof of successful completion from a California Office of the Fire Marshal State Fire Training Accredited Firefighter I Academy
- Current EMT-P per California Administrative Code or proof of ability to obtain a California EMT-P license within 120 days of hire (Ability to obtain equates to an EMT-P from another state or proof of completion of a Paramedic program by time of application on official letterhead by the school)
- Valid California driver's license
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Health Care Providers certification or equivalent
- Copy of CPAT or Biddle PAT certification completed. All certifications must have been obtained between October 1, 2021 to the present.
- Visit newportbeachca.gov/jobs review the job specifications and apply.
- Online Exam: Tentatively scheduled for January 13, 2023
- Top scoring applicants will be invited to an oral interview
- Oral Interview: Tentatively scheduled for the week of February 13, 2023
- Passing applicants will be invited to the ocean swim test
- Ocean Swim: Tentatively scheduled for March 3, 2023
- Passing applicants will be placed on an eligibility list that may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
About the Newport Beach Fire Department:
The Newport Beach Fire Department provides fire protection, EMS, and life safety services to our community. We protect a city of 85,000 residents that grows more than 100,000 with summer tourism. The NBFD prides itself on its ability to handle all types of emergencies within our city while still providing mutual aid to major incidents across the state. Our Paramedics deliver “door to door” service that provides the highest quality medical care possible.
The city is protected daily by the Fire Operations Division which includes:
- 8 Engine Companies
- 2 Truck Companies
- 3 Paramedic Ambulances
- 1 Battalion Chief
All are staffed with full-time Firefighters and Firefighter/Paramedics who provide first rate service to the community.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for people of character who will contribute to a positive-team atmosphere through a commitment to serving the Newport Beach community and supporting each other.
The Newport Beach Fire Department is committed to helping our employees achieve their goals through training and education. Your health and wellness are also important and the NBFD supports employees through a physical wellness program and mental wellness supported through Counseling Team International.
The City of Newport Beach offers a generous compensation package:
- Competitive Salary
- CalPERS retirement
- Medical Cafeteria Plan packages
- Flex Leave
- Other City Provided benefits and additional information is available on the Job Flyer
- This position is represented by The Newport Beach Firefighters Association, which will receive 9% in cost of living adjustments over the next 3 years (3% per year) in addition to many other benefits: NBFA MOU